Is Mold in the Home a Big Health Risk?

Nashville - Remove Mold Now

There are some types of mold which can be a significant health risk for certain people. Reaction to mold is highly variable and is usually dependent upon the type of mold, as well as how much of it exists in the home. It has been proven  that some people are allergic to mold. Additionally, some populations have been shown to be more susceptible to negative effects from even mild mold exposure. Those who have allergies, asthma, or pulmonary conditions may be more susceptible, as well as young children and infants. Those with suppressed immune conditions, like HIV/AIDS could very possibly develop fungal infection in their lungs as a result of lengthy mold exposure.

One of the first reactions to mold infestation is an allergic response. Not everyone is sensitive to mold in this way, just as many folks are not allergic to pollen. Sometimes, mold exposure can cause hayfever symptoms like runny nose, itchy eyes, and sore throat.

Asthma, in some people, can develop as part of an allergic response to mold. Asthma symptoms can be indication of severe mold allergy. Asthma can be dangerous and can become increasingly worse if mold exposure continues. When possible, those who have an asthma response to mold should have their environments as mold-free as possible. However, this can be challenging.

Cleaning the mold one can see, such as that which exists on walls, can usually be done. However, there is plenty of mold we don’t see, both indoors and out that may cause health issues. Sometimes, air purifiers may help reduce airborne spores of mold that one can’t see. Keeping mold from regrowing by wiping down windows if they become moist, and keeping bathrooms clean may also help reduce mold investation in the home. Bathrooms should never be carpeted, as carpet can harbor mold and be somewhat difficult to clean.

Allergic reaction to mold may also lead to a greater risk of sinus infections. In fact, those who have chronic sinus infections without an apparent viral cause may actually be expressing allergies to mold. Here, as before, trying to rid the home of any visible mold is helpful.

One of, if not the greatest danger of mold infestation is the possibility of developing fungal infections in the lungs. This usually occurs only in those with weakened immune systems. Fungal infections can be very difficult to treat, and are more so when one already has a suppressed immune system. Anti-fungal medications have shown the ability to treat fungal infections, but a great many of them have harmful side effects.

There’s one type of mold, known as Stachybotrys chartarum, that is sometimes called toxic mold. It tends to develop after a home has been flooded. People show a higher allergic response to it, and it should be eliminated with bleach cleaning when possible. It is also a very good idea to replace carpets that have been exposed to flood waters.

Studies have suggested that there is a possible link between hemorrhage in the lungs in infants and exposure to Stachybotrys chartarum. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) have reported that there is isn’t a lot of evidence to support a connection between pulmonary hemorrhage and this type of mold, or any type of mold exposure. However, any possible risk, even if remote, suggests removing such mold from one’s home as quickly as possible, particularly if one has a young child or if one suffers from allergy to mold, is a good course to follow.

Click here, How To Kill Mold, to learn more about mold removal.

Tags:,,,,,,,,

How To Remove Mold From Home

One Response to “Is Mold in the Home a Big Health Risk?”

  1. There are several steps involved in black mold removal. None of them are complicated however the whole black mold removal process is labor intensive. You may have to spend money on some equipment, for example dehumidifiers, to keep the problem at bay in the future and to help the whole process along.